The world’s thinnest IR sensor
JonDeTech’s new generation thermopiles generates a direct, proportional voltage response when subjected to infrared radiation heat. The sensors registers wavelengths from 250nm – 22,5µm i.e visual light up to the mid infrared region. The unique geometrical configuration where the thermocouples are “vertically” arranged enables the sensor to measure heat flux as well as temperature, i.e. the heat gradient over the thickness of the thermopile chip is actually measured.
The sensor it is less than 0.2 mm. thin and it is made using plastic membrane. This configuration make the sensor so robust it can be used “bare” – without protective housing such as a metal container.
Performance of the sensors is illustrated in the following video.
Key features of the JonDeTech thermopile
- Made to fit – Thickness of the sensor is only 0.2 mm, robust and bendable
- Easy to mount – The sensors can be surface mounted to most PCBs
- Multi measurements – The sensor can be used to measure both thermal radiation and heat flux
- Minimal footprint – Standard module dimensions are 3×3 mm (JIRS3) and 5×5 mm (JIRS5)
- Fully customizable – Can be manufactured in any desirable shape
- Specific detectivity in the range of D*=1e7 to 2e7 cm√Hz/W
- Voltage response to irradiance for 5×5 mm sensor area: Iv=>12 Vmm2/W
- Arrays of sensors can be mounted side-by-side on a PCB to create the required detector area
The JIRS3 and JIRS5 sensors
JonDeTech thermopile heat sensing products: the JIRS3 and JIRS5 detectors, are so called thermal radiation sensors. The differences between these two products are the sensor area (footprint),3×3 and 5×5 mm respectively, and the sensitivity. The larger the sensor area, the higher the performance, i.e. voltage response to IR-radiation.
- JIRS3 datasheet 3×3 mm footprint and a voltage respons of approximately 4 Vmm2/W
- JIRS5 datasheet 5×5 mm footprint and a voltage respons of approximately 12 Vmm2/W
The number of applications for thermopiles and infrared sensors is vast and it is growing. In this section we have listed some applications where the JonDeTech thermopiles can be used successfully. The advantage with the JonDeTech sensors is that the measurement system can be made small, simple and at low cost.
This opens up new possibilities to incorporate IR sensors into smart devices where the previous generation IR sensors were too big, too fragile or too slow to fit.
The sensor device (attached to e.g. a flexible PCB carrier) can be fitted, mounted or glued to most surfaces. The sensor is robust why a protective housing is not required. It can, for example, be mounted directly to walls, or glued to machine parts, etc.
The standard applications are: