The world’s thinnest IR sensor
JonDeTech’s new generation thermopiles generates a direct, proportional voltage response when subjected to infrared radiation. The sensor registers wavelengths from 250nm – 22,5μm i.e. visual light up to the mid infrared region. The unique geometrical configuration where the thermocouples are “vertically” arranged enable the sensor to measure heat flux as well as temperature, i.e. the heat gradient over the thickness of the thermopile chip is actually measured.
The sensor measures a very useful 0.17 mm in thickness and is made of plastic.Essentially it is a piece of robust plastic that can be used “bare” – withoutprotective housing, such as a metal casing commonly used by other producersThe sensor it is less than 0.2 mm. thin and it is made using plastic membrane. This configuration make the sensor so robust it can be used “bare” – without protective housing such as a metal container.
Performance of the sensors is illustrated in the following video.
Key features of the JonDeTech thermopile
- Made to fit – Thickness of the sensor is only 0.17 mm, robust and bendable
- Easy to mount – The sensors can be surface mounted to most PCBs
- Multi measurements – The sensor can be used to measure both thermal radiation and heat flux
- Minimal footprint – Standard module dimensions are 3×3 mm (JIRS3)
- Fully customizable – Can be manufactured in any desirable shape
- Specific detectivity in the range of
- Voltage response to irradiance for 3×3 mm sensor area:
- Arrays of sensors can be mounted side-by-side on a PCB to create the required detector area
The JIRS3 and JIRS5 sensors
JonDeTech thermopile heat sensing products: the JIRS3 and JIRS5 detectors, are so called thermal radiation sensors. The differences between these two products are the sensor area (footprint),3×3 and 5×5 mm respectively, and the sensitivity. The larger the sensor area, the higher the performance, i.e. voltage response to IR-radiation.
- JIRS3 datasheet 3×3 mm footprint and a voltage respons of approximately 4 Vmm2/W
- JIRS5 datasheet 5×5 mm footprint and a voltage respons of approximately 12 Vmm2/W
The number of applications for thermopile based infrared sensors is next to unlimited. In this section we have listed some of the applications where JonDeTech’s sensor would add a great value due to its unique features.
Among the main advantages are design flexibility, simplicity and cost effectiveness catered for mass market production. This allows for unprecedented usage areas and design possibilities, e.g., integration into smart devices where previous generations of IR sensors are too big, too fragile or too slow.
Once fitted onto a flexible PCB carrier it can be fitted, mounted or glued to most surface materials. The sensor is robust and can be used without any protective housing. With proper design it can be mounted directly onto walls or glued to machine parts, etc.
The standard applications are: